Wondering why the Note 7 fizzled and popped? Samsung might reveal soon

Samsung is on the verge of revealing exact reasons for the Galaxy Note 7 disaster in the coming days, says a new report.

Samsung has been investigating the probable cause of Galaxy Note 7 fires ever since it stopped selling the handsets.

While a lot of people across the world were surprised to see a premium phablet like the Galaxy Note 7 go up in flames, they were even more surprised with Samsung's failure to detect root causes for the disaster. Samsung has been investigating the cause of Galaxy Note 7 fires since October and also claimed to fix the cause once, but to no avail so far.

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 discontinued: timeline

The Korea Herald now reports that Samsung will finally announce the results of an internal investigation before the end of the year. The internal investigation was launched on November 11 and involved product safety authorities both in Korea as well as the United States. Samsung had initially thought that faulty batteries were the source of all the troubles but later said that the explosions may have been caused by other factors.

So far, Samsung has taken various steps to wind down the noise generated by the Galaxy Note 7 controversy like blocking parody videos on YouTube by staking copyright claims, drafting new compensation programmes in several countries and limiting battery life of existing Galaxy Note 7 devices to 60% to prevent mishaps. However, it seems that the Galaxy Note 7 issue, which the company estimated will cost it up to $5.3 billion, has rattled it so much that a major top management change is on the cards with Lee Jae-yong, the grandson of Samsung's founder Lee Byung-chull, expected to take over the reigns of the mobile division in the coming days. It will be interesting to see if such a change will indeed take place after Samsung publishes the results of it's internal investigation.

Samsung chose to test Note 7 batteries in-house over test labs

While the delay in finding root causes for the Galaxy Note 7 fiasco forced Samsung to altogether stop production and sales of Galaxy Note 7 handsets, it has also reportedly delayed development of the Galaxy S8 by two weeks. This has been done to find out the root cause of the Galaxy Note 7 fires before starting work on the Galaxy S8. However, given that Samsung has been trying to figure out the exact cause of the issue for the last couple of months, we wonder if a couple of weeks will be enough for Samsung's Galaxy S8 development team to find out the cause that has stumped the company and made them lose billions in share price.

The Korea Herald reported last month that Samsung is working on a new compensation programme for those who purchased the Galaxy Note 7 which may include discounts on future flagship phones. The new compensation programme will be aimed at offering discounts to customers against purchases of future flagship phones which may include the Galaxy S8, the Galaxy S8 Edge or the Galaxy Note 8. The information comes in the backdrop of a number of dissatisfied Galaxy Note 8 buyers threatening to file lawsuits against the company for selling them faulty Galaxy Note 7 handsets. The report also highlights that a number of Galaxy Note 7 buyers haven't returned their handsets yet as there are 'few options to choose in the market.'

Leave a Comment