Samsung may sell refurbished Note 7 handsets, but not in the UK

Samsung is reportedly planning to sell refurbished Galaxy Note 7 handsets in select markets soon, says a new report from Korea.

Selling refurbished Galaxy Note 7 handsets will help Samsung dispose off its existing stock of Note 7s and earn some money in the process.

According to The Investor, a business site in Korea, Samsung may start selling refurbished Galaxy Note 7 handsets from next year, but only in select regions. While the timeline for the sale isn't known yet, a Samsung insider told The Investor that Samsung may sell the handsets in emerging markets like India and Vietnam to boost its revenue. India had refused permission to Apple when the Cupertino giant had proposed to sell refurbished iPhones in India, so we're not sure if Samsung will get the required permission to sell refurbished variants of the Galaxy Note 7, a phone which was banned in Indian flights following a series of unexplained explosions earlier this year.

Samsung working on compensation programme for Note 7 buyers: Report

Samsung has so far been investigating the cause of Galaxy Note 7 fires but has not come up with an answer as yet. Having said that, it is now prudent to question if the refurbished handsets that Samsung plans to sell in countries with huge domestic demand will really be safer than the handsets which it sold between August and October.

After initial reports of exploding Note 7 phones arrived, Samsung decided to replace Samsung SDI batteries with batteries manufactured by ATL, a Chinese battery-maker. Initially, Samsung SDI batteries were present in 70% of Galaxy Note 7 devices while the remaining 30% handsets featured ATL batteries. After replacements were completed, the new batteries also started exploding, prompting the company to state that the defect wasn't with the batteries but with something else. But for the upcoming Galaxy S8 flagship phone, Samsung isn't taking any chances.

Samsung limits Note 7 batteries to 60% to drive replacements

Back in October, the Korean Herald said that LG Chem, LG's battery-making arm, was in contention to manufacture batteries for Samsung's upcoming flagship phones. Samsung and LG Chem are reportedly in talks to finalise a deal on this but it will take a while before Samsung confirms the winner. A Samsung executive has told the Maeil Business Newspaper that Samsung are looking at diverse suppliers, including LG Chem. It seems that until Samsung discovers the causes behind Note 7 fires, it will rely on third party batteries to power its phones, especially the flagship ones.

Top Articles

MobileChoice Reviews

Leave a Comment