Samsung limits Note 7 batteries to 60% to drive replacements

Samsung today announced that it is releasing a new software update to Galaxy Note 7 devices in the UK which will limit battery charge to 60%.

Samsung is also contacting all Note 7 users and asking them to return their handsets using a replacement programme.

It seems there are still a number of Galaxy Note 7s out there in the wild and Samsung is leaving no stones turned to ensure that no more explosions take place, at least in the UK. The company has been at the receiving end of a number of parodies of late, the most popular being a Grand Theft Auto scene where a gangster is using Note 7 handsets to blow up cars and cops on the streets.

Samsung working on compensation programme for Note 7 buyers: Report

Samsung is releasing a new software update to all Note 7 handsets in the UK which will ensure that battery charge in those handsets will never cross 60%. Not only will this ensure that batteries won't heat up, but will also let those, who don't want to part with their handsets, continue using their phones without injuring themselves.

"As part of Samsung’s absolute focus on customer safety, the new software update will roll out across Europe from Monday, October 31. The update is the latest measure taken by the company to reduce customer risk and simultaneously drive all remaining Galaxy Note7 customers in Europe to replace their device immediately," said Samsung in a press statement.

According to Samsung, two-thirds of all Galaxy Note 7 handsets sold in Europe have been replaced by the company so far. If you are still using yours and want to return it, you can either opt for a full refund or exchange it for another Samsung Galaxy smartphone. The new software update is the second of its kind in the UK after a similar update was rolled out back in September.

Samsung Note 7's demise gifted 7 million new users to Apple

“Our absolute priority continues to be customer safety. This new battery software update is specifically designed to remind all Galaxy Note7 customers to replace their device at their earliest possible convenience through their local Galaxy Note7 Replacement Programme. We once again would like to apologise for not meeting the standard of product excellence that our customers have come to expect from Samsung and we sincerely thank them for their continued understanding and cooperation,” said Conor Pierce, Vice President of IT & Mobile, Samsung Electronics UK & Ireland.

As per rumours, Samsung is also working on a new compensation programme for Galaxy Note 7 owners. The new compensation programme will be aimed at offering discounts to customers against purchases of future flagship phones which may include the Galaxy S8, the Galaxy S8 Edge or the Galaxy Note 8. The information comes in the backdrop of a number of dissatisfied Galaxy Note 7 buyers threatening to file lawsuits against the company for selling them faulty handsets. The report also highlights that a number of Galaxy Note 7 buyers haven't returned their handsets yet as there are 'few options to choose in the market.'

Leave a Comment