A group selfie is now called an usie, says the Associated Press - Twitter gets angry

If the monumental rise of the selfie wasn’t enough to make you shred your dictionary, the latest new word to describe a photo of yourself with ours just might - the usie.

Brought to life like Frankenstein’s monster, usie (pronounced us-ee) was drop-kicked into fame this week by none other than the Associated Press, which said: “What do you call a group selfie? An usie, of course! As in ‘us.’ Pronounced uss-ee, rhymes with fussy.”

The AP went on to quote Michal Ann Strahilevitz, a professor of marketing at Golden Gate University in San Francisco who studies consumer behavior of taking photos of yourself. "Usies are a growing trend that I think have far more social value than selfies,” Strahilevitz said.

“It's magical capturing moments we share with other people."

But the word has been around for longer than you might think, as the AP explained: “The word — sometimes spelled usie, sometimes ussie — has been showing up in written material since at least April 2013, according to Ben Zimmer, executive producer of Vocabulary.com and language columnist for The Wall Street Journal.”

Just a day later and Twitter is awash with #usie and #ussie, but not everyone is impressed.



Source: The Associated Press

Top Articles

MobileChoice Reviews

Leave a Comment